La CEM répond vos questions

Can two people open a micro-enterprise?

No, a micro-enterprise is a company in its own name. You can only declare a collaborating spouse.

How long can my business remain "dormant" ?

The duration of the dormancy is two years. If you are registered with the Chamber of Commerce, this dormancy period ends with a new amending entry in the Trade and Companies Register stating that you have resumed your activity. Failing this, at the end of a period of two years from the date of the entry in the Trade and Companies Register of the cessation of activity, the registrar will refer the matter to the judge responsible for supervising the register so that he can examine the appropriateness of deregistration, after having previously informed the company by registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt.

Can I be a jobseeker and an "entrepreneur" ?

Every year, nearly 250,000 people take advantage of a period of unemployment to start or take over a business! In fact, this period of professional transition is opportune for several reasons: You have time, you do not lose your benefits during the period of setting up your project and, under certain conditions, during the first few months of start-up, you retain your social security cover, in certain cases you can have access to capital and be supported. More generally, you can benefit from public aid implemented by the State to facilitate entrepreneurship for the unemployed and encourage their return to working life. 2320€(0,1379€/word) total 16824 words without legal mentions.

Can I be an employee and an "entrepreneur" ?

It is possible to combine a salaried job with a self-employed activity as a self-employed person.

What is the difference between a D1 extract, 1 KBIS and an INSEE notice ?

"If you are registered with the Registre des Commerces et des Sociétés (RCS): you must apply for a Kbis online at https://www.infogreffe.fr/. It is recommended that you do not go to another site as the amount requested could be more than 5 euros. - Répertoire des métiers (for artisans): you must apply for a registration extract (the D1) from the CEM by filling in the attached application form (link) and returning it with €15 (payable by cheque, bank transfer or credit card). It is also possible to send the form to the EMC by email at contact@cemsaintbarthelemy.com and pay the €15 when you hand in the document at the EMC. Regardless of your registration room, you will receive an INSEE notice that summarises your SIREN number, the name of your company, its APE code and its address. You can obtain it by contacting the CEM or by downloading it directly from the website: https://avis-situation-sirene. insee.fr/ . It is free of charge.

How do I get my artisan card ?

By going to the website https://www.cmacarte.pro/. In dematerialised form, the professional card is issued free of charge by the Chambers of Trade and Crafts to each manager of a craft business or collaborating spouse registered in the trade register. It displays the craft qualification and information reflecting the situation of your business and is updated automatically. From now on, you will always have your business card at hand by downloading it onto your smartphone. And if you wish, it is also available in credit card format in PVC (for a fee).

How do I pay my social security contributions ?

Every month or quarter if you are a micro-entrepreneur, or every year if you are a sole trader or a company, you must declare your income on the CPS website for Saint Barths. The amount of your contributions will be deducted from your bank account or you can pay by bank transfer.

As a businessman, are there any taxes to pay ?

Yes, according to the Tax Code, 2 taxes apply to all companies with their head office or an establishment carrying out any activity in Saint Barts. The annual flat-rate business tax (Contribution Forfaitaire Annuelle des Entreprises - CFAE) is due every year between 1 January and 31 March. It amounts to 350 € for the fixed part and 100 € per employee for the variable part. In the event of non-payment, the increase is 80%. If you set up a company, you have 90 days from the date you declared that you started your business to pay this tax for the current year, only if it takes place between 1 January and 30 September. From 1 October, you are no longer liable for the current year only. The Waste Disposal Tax (WDT) is due every year between 1 January and 31 March. To find out the amount, please contact the waste disposal centre. We invite you to read the Tax Code to find out the full details of how to pay the taxes to which you are subject.

Can I have two APE codes ? Can I change my APE code ?

No, it is not possible to have two APE codes. It is the main activity that determines the APE code.
Yes, it is possible to change APE code if the new APE code you want corresponds to your main activity.


Can I carry out several activities ?

Yes, it is possible to carry out several activities. You must differentiate between the main and secondary activities and check whether they are not regulated.

Can I change my status from micro-entrepreneur to IE ?

Yes, it is possible to change from micro-entrepreneur to sole trader by making a request to the tax department.

Is it possible to change automatically from sole trader to company ?

No. The change from one to the other cannot be made automatically because these are two distinct legal forms. It is recommended that you create your company and then deregister your sole proprietorship.

Can I have my sole proprietorship in mainland France and work in Saint Barts?

Yes, in this case you will need to open a secondary establishment in Saint Barts.

How do I know if my business is regulated ?

To find out if your activity is regulated, please contact the CEM, which will send you the regulations for your activity.

Will I be able to complete the same formalities on the formalites.entreprises.gouv.fr website and via the CFE ?

The new site allows the same formalities to be carried out as those available through the CFE network.

Is it compulsory to use the new site for formalities ?

From 1 January 2022 to 31 December 2022, users can choose between using this site or the CFE network to complete their formalities. The use of this site will become compulsory from 1 January 2023 for all companies, regardless of their activity or legal form.

Who can use this website ?

The following may carry out formalities on this site:
- the manager of a company, whatever its legal form or field of activity, or a delegate;
- the representative of a company (a person appointed, by means of a mandate, to carry out formalities on its behalf).

Is it possible to get funding for training ?

Yes, there are several systems for financing your training. It depends on your situation, whether you are an employee, an entrepreneur or a job seeker.... You can find the main schemes in the "Financing my training" section.

Do you offer training for Validation of Acquired Experience (VAE) ?

Not at the moment. If you wish to take advantage of this system, which allows you to obtain a diploma thanks to your professional experience, we invite you to contact the Academy of Guadeloupe : dava.guadeloupe@gipdaifi.fr Does the registration form allow me to be registered for a training session? No, the registration form is the first step, allowing the organisation to have all the information needed to draw up the training agreement. It is this agreement, once signed, that will validate your registration. Before this document is signed, your place will not be guaranteed.

Does the registration form allow me to be registered for a training session ?

No, the registration form is the first step, allowing the organisation to have all the information needed to draw up the training agreement. It is this agreement, once signed, that will validate your registration. Before this document is signed, your place will not be guaranteed.

I can't find my course in your catalogue, what should I do ?

The CEM Training Centre has a growing range of training courses. The aim is to offer the inhabitants of Saint-Barthélemy a wide and varied choice of training courses. If your course is not yet in our catalogue or has not yet been created, don't worry, we will work together to meet your needs as best we can. Our teaching team and our trainers have the capacity to offer tailor-made training courses to meet your needs as closely as possible. Contact Grégory on or by email at gregory.guerot@cemstbarth.com to present your project.

I want to start my own business, do you offer a training course to help me ?

Yes, the "Entreprendre" training course, over 3 days, allows you to see the obligations, responsibilities and missions of a company manager. You have to learn how to be a company manager and this training course is one of the ways to do this.

Are foreign CACES valid in Saint-Barth ?

No, each country has its own restrictions and it is the French social security system that supervises the CACES regulations.